AN INTERVIEW of a British teenager broadcast on a Pakistani television network
has thrown into doubt investigators’ claims that all the three London bombers
of Pakistani descent visited Pakistan last year. According to the investigators,
the three bombers had died in the July 7 attacks.
But 16-year-old Hasib Hussain, a namesake of one of the putative bombers and
of Pakistani descent, said in the interview that a photograph of a passport
purporting to show bomber Hasib Hussain, 19, was his, and not that of the ‘bomber’.
The photo, together with documents showing that Hasib and two other bombers
visited Pakistan last year, was published in newspapers on Monday.
“I first saw my photograph on Channel 4 [British TV network) and I was
terrified,” Hasib Hussain, the teenager said in the interview with the
ARY network on Thursday
“I didn’t want people looking at me saying ‘hey, you are
supposed to be dead’,” he said, “or someone saying that there
goes the London bomber.”
On Monday, Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) said Hasib Hussain,
carrying a British passport, had arrived in Karachi from Riyadh on July 15 last
The father of Hasib (the interviewee) said that the family had indeed visited
Karachi last year.
He urged the British and Pakistani authorities to clear up the confusion.
An FIA official told the BBC: “We have nothing to say on the matter at
this stage.” —BBC