|Taking a Closer Look at the Stories Ignored by the Corporate Media|
|| | ||
Archive for the Month of September, 2005.
Viewing Disaster in New Orleans NEWS articles 76 through 123 of 123.
- This morning, U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's visit to the Reliant Park this offered him a glimpse of what it's like to be living in shelter.
- What kind of country leaves the bodies of its citizens to rot in the streets?
- Supporters of KAMP, which was set to launch at 95.3 FM, blame red tape and bureaucrats seeking to "manage the news."
- Armed police have begun to handcuff hurricane survivors who refuse to leave their homes in New Orleans.
- In the new New Orleans, where the paradigm of the Bush police state is field tested, the media is not allowed to inform Americans of the death toll in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Or so FEMA’s military overseer of "victim recovery efforts" (confiscating guns and kicking in doors), Gen. Russel Honore, would have it. Terry Ebbert, homeland security director of the new New Orleans, explained Honore’s reason for banning the media (and assault journalists and photographers and steal the memory cards from their cameras): Not even CNN, usually an obedient worker bee for the Bushian message, was willing to put up with the Honore dictum.
- Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
- Like George Bush Jr. himself, who failed his way to the top (his "management" wrecked every business he ever ran), Bush crony Joe Allbaugh has also perfected the art of failing upward.
- ...they began firing their weapons over our heads. This sent the crowd fleeing in various directions. As the crowd scattered and dissipated, a few of us inched forward and managed to engage some of the sheriffs in conversation. & [They] informed us there were no buses waiting. The commander had lied to us to get us to move."
- Toxic chemicals in the New Orleans flood waters will make the city unsafe for full human habitation for a decade, a US government official has told The Independent on Sunday. And, he added, the Bush administration is covering up the danger.
- Total411.info has obtained video of an ABC News report featuring an earwitness to explosives used to destroy the Industrial Canal in New Orleans.
- #13) "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did." –Rep. Richard Baker (R-LA) to lobbyists, as quoted in the Wall Street Journal
- Two Israeli mercenaries from ISI, another private military company, were guarding Audubon Place, a gated community. Wearing bulletproof vests, they were carrying M16 assault rifles.
- With the floodwaters still high in New Orleans last week, with 25,000 body bags on their way to the city, with the Gulf of Mexico oil industry crippled - 160 platforms and 16 rigs still evacuated, oil refineries shut down - there was one group of people who, nevertheless, could see some good coming out of the wreckage. Who? Halliburton shareholders.
- I talked to his uncle today about these allegations that the levee was deliberately blown. His nephew was nearby and confirms that residents heard a series of explosions before the levee "failed".
- "FEMA has only spent about 6 percent of its budget on national emergencies, the bulk of their funding has been used for the construction of secret underground facilities to assure continuity of government in case of a major emergency, foreign or domestic."
- Look upon the city of New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast now, and you see the true face of capitalism. It is time, sisters and brothers, for a revolution. How can we not look at the city of New Orleans and see that it is time for those of us who work and support the Bush administration, the Democrats who play polite political games with them for a chance at the same hegemony they now exercise, for us to band together and demand a new nation, an new government. How can we not understand that we are expendable? That we are merely resources that represent the capital they covet, and for which they produce nothing, but demand everything from us?
- And then two black women approach the "President of the United States," as the anchorwoman reminds us at this moment (Really! Take note! Think about the importance of this moment!) He greets them as if they had an appointment. A woman and her daughter appear. Why these two? Were they waiting for him? Who chose them?
- No cliché is spared in extolling the martial law commander. He doesn’t speak, he "barks." He doesn’t walk, he "strides." He is, the Post reporter tells us, "a soldier’s soldier, the man you want in the trenches with you, the kind of man who’ll cover your back."
- A picture postcard of the new Amerika, where flaming skull festooned SWAT Team thugs go house to house dragging out old ladies and seizing legally held firearms
- Let CNN sue the Bush administration all it wants. It will make no difference in the new New Orleans, where the Pentagon is in control (along with Blackwater mercenaries and militarized cops) and the First, Second, and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution no longer exist.
- In other words, FEMA and then Blanco outsourced the body count from Hurricane Katrina -- which many believe the worst natural disaster in U.S. history -- to a firm whose parent company is known for its "experience" at hiding and dumping bodies.
- Two Heavy Trucks, Helicopter Were Involved in Lawmaker's Trip at Height of Crisis - The water reached to the third step of Jefferson's house, a military source familiar with the incident told ABC News, and the vehicle pulled up onto Jefferson's front lawn so he wouldn't have to walk in the water
- In the 25-year history of the modern New Orleans Class A office market, no single owner has controlled 25 percent of the city's top office building market.
- New Orleans Elite say: ~ "We gave them a bus ticket, a $2000 debit card, and some MRE's. They aren't welcome back'. Judah Hertz is our type of guy, and he is an asset.
- Have you been wondering who was really running things while the seemingly near-retarded FEMA Director Michael Brown was giving nonstop interviews and press conferences those days after Katrina hit?
- - by Michael C. Ruppert - Racism and Resource Scarcity May Be Siamese Twins in a Post-Petroleum World
- Questions mount over Hurricane Katrina's death count. Estimates are now well below 10,000 with the death toll currently standing at 648 for Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida. So, why did the Bush Administration order 75,000 body bags?
- In the midst of administering chest compressions to a dying woman several days after Hurricane Katrina struck, Dr. Mark N. Perlmutter was ordered to stop by a federal official because he wasn't registered with the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Corporate profiteering from the disaster is only the tip of the iceberg. Bush’s allies in the Republican-controlled Congress are urging that reconstruction be accompanied by measures limiting victims’ right to sue, establishing school vouchers, lifting restrictions on federal funds for religious groups, suspending environmental regulations on new oil refineries, waiving the estate tax, and enacting a flat tax.
- ...And yet last night, no more than an hour after the President departed, the lights went out.
- Reports are emanating out of New Orleans that National Guard, regular military, officers of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and private security personnel have shot to death homeless and needy survivors of Hurricane Katrina.
- FEMA City, a dusty, baking, treeless collection of almost 500 trailers that was set up by the federal emergency agency last fall to house more than 1,500 people made homeless by Hurricane Charley, one of the most destructive storms in recent Florida history. The free shelter was welcomed by thankful survivors back then; almost a year later, most are still there -- angry, frustrated, depressed and increasingly desperate.
- The deeper into the neighborhood we got, the more debris littered the deserted streets. "Fuck Bush. Them Bitches Flood Us," was written in black spray paint across a battered brick wall.
- Back in the 1980s, protest signs sported the slogan "Ed Meese Is A Pig." Twenty years later, the slogan still applies
- Administration officials have "clarified" that their Katrina recovery program will not interrupt an agenda of robust tax breaks for the wealthiest American families and corporations.
- There are food, clothing, shelter, generators and other supplies aplenty for the suffering people of the Gulf Coast. But the bulk of these resources are in the grip of giant corporations that will only make them available if their profit interests are served.
- ...the Steele Foundation apparently has a role in New Orleans. It appears Steele played a role in the abduction and removal of Jean-Bertrand Aristide, the democratically elected leader of Haiti.
- Meese, as the "unofficial adviser for New Orleans area reconstruction" and a follower of Christian Reconstructionism will likely attempt to force his "faith-based" theocratic dogmatism on the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
- The badly mangled bodies of three FEMA workers were discovered two days ago, hanging from a tree inside the courtyard of a French Quarter apartment. The bodies, found by U.S. Military Police units engaged in searching for survivors, bore crudely written placards that read, "FEMA THIEF-DIE," "RACIST PIG," and "FEMA LOOTER BITCH."
- "Reasonable" African Americans in New Orleans believe that the Bush administration engineered the levee breaks during Hurricane Katrina in a bid to save the city's white sections by flooding black neighborhoods, Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson said Sunday.
- The major problem with this is that the proverbial fox will be overseeing the chicken coop. Townsend is a party loyalist. A faithful Republican servant of both the GOP and Bush. And now she'll be reporting to Bush's uber-operative, Karl Rove.
- CNN correspondent (and likely British agent) Jeff Koinange said something interesting on Thursday night.
- New Orleans is already displaying signs of a demographic shift so dramatic that some evacuees describe it as "ethnic cleansing."
- One might ask, given the enormous presence in New Orleans of National Guard, US Army, US Border Patrol, local police from around the country and practically every other government agency with badges, why private security companies are needed, particularly to guard federal projects.
- Well, we now have final confirmation that the horror stories about stabbings and rapes in the dome were fictitious.
- See those red fingers on the left of the radar? Now whose might those be?
- The Mysteries of New Orleans
- Blackwater Security is now providing security to the Red Cross! That's right, you heard correctly. Armed mecenaries are providing security to a (supposedly) humanitarian relief organization.
Pages for September, 2005